Pay per head: Canelo Alvarez out around six weeks.

Pay per head:Canelo Alvarez.

07 10 14 - 14:15 Used tags: , , ,

pay per headThe official announcement of Canelo Alvarez's fight Dec. 6 had not even happened, and now the fight is already off. Alvarez will be sidelined for about six weeks due to a persistent left ankle injury, Golden Boy Promotions announced Monday night.

On Sept. 29, Alvarez, Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya and HBO Sports president Ken Hershman gathered in Los Angles and announced with fanfare that the network had signed the 24-year-old Mexican superstar to an exclusive, long-term contract -- taking him away from rival Showtime in the process

The first bout of the agreement was supposed to take place Dec. 6 against former welterweight titleholder Joshua Clottey (38-4, 22 KOs) at Minute Maid Park in Houston, with the bout to air on regular HBO, a significant part of the agreement given that Alvarez's past three fights had been on pay-per-view.

According to De La Hoya, Alvarez's ankle had been giving him problems since before he faced Alfredo Angulo in March. The ankle began to bother him much more two weeks before he faced Erislandy Lara in his latest fight July 12, but despite the discomfort, he went through with the fight and won by split decision.

Alvarez's ankle acted up again this past week when he was on a six-mile run. The ankle hurt so badly and was so swollen he had to stop in the middle of the workout.

De La Hoya added Alvarez had begun to train a few weeks ago for the December fight, and though the ankle was bothering him.

De La Hoya said the doctor recommended he stay off his ankle for about six weeks and go through physical therapy to strengthen it.

De La Hoya said he thinks that with Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) done for 2014, his next fight will be May 2, the Saturday before Cinco de Mayo, which is a traditional weekend for a major Mexican fight.

The December fight was always viewed as a stay-busy fight before a possible, mega HBO PPV showdown with middleweight world champion Miguel Cotto, who initially was going to fight Dec. 13 but announced several few weeks ago that he would not fight again until 2015.

Alvarez had been blocked from that date, as well as the major Mexican holiday in September, on Showtime because those are the dates pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been fighting, even when he has not faced a Mexican opponent. Alvarez fought on the September date this past year when he lost a junior middleweight unification fight to Mayweather in the highest grossing fight in boxing history.